I have to be honest, prior to 2020 I never thought of myself as a “reader”.
The few books I read in my life leading up until this year I enjoyed, for the most part; however, I never made reading a hobby.
Around this time last year, I decided I was going to change that. I made a list of 24 books that all fell into the fiction horror genre, all written exclusively by my personal favorite, Stephen King.
Well, with the new year looming I can confess that I did not read those 24 Stephen King books.
Of the 24 I planned to read, I ended up reading 7 in total, 4 of those being Stephen King books.
- Doctor Sleep
- Night Shift
- The Body
- Composing Software
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
- The Institute
Admittedly, I was far off from my goal; however, I did come to an important realization.
I read more this year than I have in any other year of my life, that is something to be proud of.
I proved to myself that, although I may fall short of a goal, the process of striving for that goal might be more important than accomplishing the goal.
2020 really sucked for most of us, there is no way around that.
Throughout the year I had many bouts with anxiety and uncertainty; reading helped combat these feelings.
With that being said, I plan to keep up the momentum in 2021.
Like last year, I plan to read 24 books. But you know what? If I don’t reach that goal, that is okay. Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
My 2021 Book List:
- Us Against You
- A Separate Peace
- The Snake Continued to Eat Itself
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- The Stand
- Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done
- Deep Work
- The Dead Zone
- Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
- The Three-Body Problem
- Digital Minimalism
- Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
- The Haunting of Hill House